Surprise your Thanksgiving guests with a dessert that features Moravian Cookies as a key ingredient! This Sweet Potato Spoon Bread is topped with a Triple Ginger Moravian Cookie crumble. The combination of creamy and crunchy textures is Turkey Day perfection!
- 2 cups sweet potato (roasted or boiled)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 and 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 and 1/2 cup crushed Triple Ginger Moravian Cookies. Save at least 6 whole cookies for the finishing touch.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put the first 9 ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
3. Crush Moravian Cookies using a food processor or putting them into a plastic Ziploc bag and using a rolling pin to crush them.
4. Butter each bowl or ramekin, and pour the mixture evenly into each. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until it looks slightly puffed up. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
5. While the bowls bake, heat a saucepan over low-medium heat and cook the granulated sugar with 1/4 cup water until the sugar dissolves (about 5 minutes). Do not stir! Bring the heat to medium-high and boil until it becomes a deep amber color, still without stirring. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in cream that has been heated to room temperature or warmer (do not use cold cream). Stir in butter and sea salt, then add 3/4 of the crushed Moravian Cookies.
6. Remove the bowls from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before spooning the topping into each one. Sprinkle the last of the crushed cookies on top, and add a whole cookie to garnish.